Ways to Encourage Children to Play Outside on the Backyard Swing Set
A backyard swing set is a must-have for most families these days. The kids have a safe place where they can get active and have fun day after day. Mom and dad have the security of knowing the kids are just outside the kitchen window. And of course, the opportunities for new and exciting play are nothing short of abundant. The playset is the type of investment that pays for itself — and then some — in the long-run.
Still, the day might come when it’s difficult to tear the kids away from the video games or tablet. If that’s the case, we have a few suggestions that will help you get the little ones to return to regular play on their beloved backyard swing set.
- Encourage swing set playtime with a friend. This can include spontaneous evening get-togethers, scheduled playtime during the weekends, and more.
- Encourage your children to play on the swing set with you. This is a great parent-child activity that presents an opportunity for both you and your child to get physical activity.
- Encourage outdoor activity as a time away from devices and homework, and a time that can be used to focus on relaxing.
- Incorporate a playtime activity into each season. For example, in the fall season you can incorporate playtime into your child’s other favorite activities such as raking, playing in a pile of leaves, enjoying a cup of warm apple cider, etc.
- Use the outdoor swing set as the main attraction for your next gathering. Whether you’re hosting a Halloween party, birthday bash, or a spring or summer barbecue, the playset is the perfect place for a group of kids to play. Plus, depending on the occasion, you can add decorations to the swing set to make your backyard a bit more festive.
- Make swing set personalization an ongoing process. This means allowing the kids to add their own creative touches to the clubhouse, playhouse and/or tree house. Think stickers, a nearby flower garden, toy dishes for the built-in picnic table, and more.
Playing on the backyard swing set doesn’t have to be predictable. With these tips, you’ll be able to nudge the children to spend even more time outside, without them knowing it!